Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holy Yummy!












Tis the season for Spudnuts! The other night Liz and David and their kids came up and we made spudnuts and ate them all! They are especially delicious when they are fresh and hot. My mom made them every year when we were growing up for neighbors during the holidays, and my Mom-in-law makes them as well with a special spice: cardimom. I like to combine the two recipes and make my own. I was thinking of opening up a doughnut restaurant called "Rispie Ream". I know it sounds like Krispie Kream but hey, if I can get people to come to my resaurant that way all the better!
Spudnut Recipe
2 C. Milk
7 C. flour
1/2 C. shortening
2 eggs
1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cardamom spice
1/2 tsp. salt cream of tartar (optional)
2 T. yeast
crisco veg. oil for frying
1 C. mashed potatoes (I use instant)
Cream together sugar, shortening, and mashed potatoes. Warm milk and add to mixture. Add all ingredients except flour, mix well. Add flour, kneading until smooth and elastic. Let rise until doubled in size. Roll out and cut into shapes. I use a mason jar lid for the doughnut shape and a smaller lid like a lemon juice lid for the hole. Let rise again. Heat oil on medium heat. Test a doughnut before cooking to make sure oil is hot enough. Place doughnut counter side up in oil. Cook to a golden brown. Icing: powdered sugar, water, vanilla. Mix until semi-thick. You will love these!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Holy Yummy is right. My mouth is salivating just looking at the pictures. I might have to make some of those TODAY!

Teresa Stubbs said...

I want that...

Becky said...

Thanks for posting this Sarah. Mmm. I have a special place in my heart for those because of the tradition.
:)

Teresa Gashler said...

I have added that recipe to my must try list. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Very nicee :)