Sunday, March 15, 2009

Swimming: Fear or Fun?



I have been running extra hard lately, doing these circuit running intervals. I ran too hard one day and pulled something in my upper leg. I got an MRI on Friday to see if it is a stress fracture on my femur bone. I hope it's not because then that would mean no running for six weeks. But I have found a new love.... swimming. I don't know for sure if I am comfortable with calling it a new love since I am deathly afraid of water. I almost drowned like three times in my life and have never gotten used to not plugging my nose under the water. But it is one of the activities I can do without putting weight on my injured leg. I have also started biking. It's a good thing since I am training for a speed triathalon in April. Anyhoo, back to my swimming story. I joined 24 hour fitness(my sister's club) for a couple months so that I could train for swimming. This is a big deal for me because I am conquering my fear of swimming. I kind of look like I am drowning when I do the freestyle stroke, but I'm getting down the breaststroke pretty good. My sister-in-law is also helping me with the whole deal. It is very different than running and I am still trying to catch on to the whole breathing part. But it is fun and a great way to spend some time with my sister Liz. We take the kids to pre-school and drop off our youngest at the kids club that they have at the fitness center. So it is a fun break. I think the part I look forward to the most is the steam room. Very relaxing and I absolutely love heat! I have been exercising so much lately but feeling so good as well when I do. Sometimes I work out twice a day, but I feel great!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Steam room sounds lovely. I am so jelous!

Liz said...

Love it! The pictures turned out great. Ha!

Becky said...

You inspire me Sarah. I need to work out more. :) Love you,

Michelle said...

woah! that is way to much exercise in one post. WOW! I love that you have such awesome caps and goggles. totally completes the experience! So sorry you injured yourself, what a bummer to watch the race from the sidelines, eh? sigh...