Thursday, June 26, 2008

Who's scared now?

A couple months ago I let Enoch and his friend Spencer watch "Signs" during their sleepover. Enoch was scared to sleep downstairs for weeks. I wasn't very sympathetic to his ongoing requests to sleep in the room across the hall from us every night. But eventually he gained the courage to sleep downstairs again. He shares a room with Isaac down there, so what's the problem right? Well, this week John went with his Dad and took the two boys (Enoch and Isaac) with him to Arizona to visit Chris and Kimbie. Last night was my first night alone, although I have the twins with me. I got the boys into bed and purposely read myself to sleep so that my mind would be preoccupied from having scary thoughts. Then, around two in the morning, when the world was dead and quiet, Jacob woke up saying he missed daddy and the boys. I carried him into bed and sat there with my eyes open. I remembered the movie signs and thought of the scary alien that he sees one night on his roof. Then I thought, 'what if I looked out my bathroom window and that same alien was on my deck?" or 'what would I do if there were running noises on the roof above me?' My heart pounded as I tossed and turned. Finally around four-thirty when I heard the first bird chirping outside, I fell asleep. 'Cuz if there was a happy bird chirping then most likely there wouldn't be an alien out there. I'm really not looking forward to tonight but know I'll get through it again. Anyone want to have a sleepover? Next time Enoch is afraid of the dark, I think I'll be more understanding. Sorry buddy!

1 comment:

Ink Poison said...

This is why I live in an apartment in the city. The suburbs scare me.